Gompers Preparatory Academy’s Counseling and Guidance Program supports teaching and learning by assuring that all students achieve academic success and develop life skills through the acquisition of academic, career, and personal/social competencies, which will prepare them for meaningful participation in a diverse, changing world.
Credentialed school counselors provide comprehensive school counseling programs that incorporate prevention and intervention activities through college classes (also known as assemblies) and activities, classroom guidance lessons, guidance groups, individual counseling, and collaboration with outside community resources. Our school counselors also assist students in ensuring they meet high school graduation requirements, UC and CSU application requirements. School counselors assist students with their planning to meet long term education, career, and personal goals.
In the event of a crisis, emergency or traumatic situation, our counseling team collaborates with and refers to additional resources that support students, families, and staff.
Gompers Prep counselors:
- Utilize the National Standards for School Counseling Programs and the American School Counselor Association’s (ASCA) National Model to implement best practices in school counseling.
- Ensure that students receive guidance and support in the areas of academic, career, and personal/social development.
- Provide intervention services for students experiencing academic and personal/social barriers to learning.
- Provide guidance and information to students and families to ensure success in student attendance and behavior.
- Support a safe school climate necessary for academic and social/emotional growth through supervision and monitoring.
Our Counseling Team
Lead Counselor, 12th Grade
School Counselor, 10th and 11th Grade
School Counselor, 8th and 9th Grade
School Counselor, 6th and 7th Grade
Family Services Coordinator, Grades 6-12
College Advisor, Grades 6-12
Counseling Assistant, College Center
Counselors are available for student walk-in outside of instruction time, before and after school. Students can also request an appointment with the counseling assistant or contact their counselor directly via email. Parents and community members can contact the Welcome Center directly for an appointment.